Methyl Methacrylate Replacement (MMR)
Technical Data Sheet
15.14 Litre (4 Gallon) Kits
Safety Red, Blue, Green, and Yellow*
Coverage: 5m2 per litre @ 200 microns **
Volumetric Ratio: 3 to 1
Pot Life: 15-20 Mins
Working time on floor: 15-20 Mins
Conditions: 0°C - 35°C
Recommended Application Method: Squeegee and back roll
Finish: Gloss to Semi-Gloss
Curing (400micron film thickness):
Tack-free time: 1 Hr
Cure-through time: 2.5 Hr
Film Appearance: Glossy
Tack-free time: 1.5 Hr
Cure-through time: 5.5 Hr
Film Appearance: Semi Gloss
Tack-free time: 1.7 Hr
Cure-through time: 7 Hr
Film Appearance: Semi-Gloss
Critical Recoat time: 12hrs
All tests conducted on fully cured 50 micron films at room temperature:
Compressive Strength: 18,500 psi (127 mpa) ASTM D 695
Tensile Strength: 12,200 psi (84 mpa) ASTM D 695
Flexural Strength: 14,100 psi (97 mpa) ASTM D 790
Hardness (Shore D): 82 ASTM D 2240
Taber Abrasion CS-17 wheel: 75 ASTM D 4060
Bond to Concrete: 350psi (concrete failure) ASTM D 4541
* Safety colours can cost as much as 30% extra over other colours.
**Practical coverage will be affected by surface profile, method of application and wet film thickness applied. Higher film thickness leads to lower coverage.
Areas and industries of application:
Bridges and roadways
Containment tank lining
E2U MMR is a two component, high performance 100% solids modified cycloaliphatic epoxy
coating system. Its advanced epoxy chemistry provides excellent bonding characteristics to concrete, asphalt, and other bituminous and porous masonry substrates.
Intended to be a safe alternative to cold applied plastics such as Methyl Methacrylate (MMA), MMR is low odour and contains no VOCs while achieving the same or better film properties to MMA.
MMR can be applied at 200microns to 4mm (10 to 150 mils) in a single application. Aggregates such as sand or aluminium oxide can be broadcast into E2U MMR to create superior inner layer adhesion and give a slip resistant finish. Its chemical design features are geared towards the highest industrial and commercial demands, such as manufacturing plants, cold rooms, road ways, manufacturing, food preparation, pharmaceutical manufacturing and dispensaries, pipe lining, tank lining, laboratories, bridges, and airports.
MMR excels in extreme chemical resistance where daily "Spill & Clean" of some of the harshest chemicals will be used. Acting as a primer, you will get superior adhesion, flexibility and strength from MMR.
MMR Key Features:
- Fast cure
- Particularly resistant to hydrochloric and sulfuric acids
- VOC Free
- High colour stability
- Low viscosity
- Solvents: 0
- Excellent thermal shock resistance
- Near odourless
- Easy mixing ratio (3:1) by volume
- Will cure at 0 degrees Celsius
Concrete should be at least 28 days old before coating. Remove all laitance, release agents, curing compounds, oil, grease, failing coatings, dust, dirt and other surface contaminants. Fill any large cracks or voids using Epoxy2U Polyurea Crack Repair or other suitable approved filler. The surface should be profiled via diamond grinding or shot blasting to ensure maximum adhesion. Moisture content of the slab should be below 4.5% (not RH) and RH below 75%, otherwise a moisture vapor barrier, such as Epoxy2U MVB15 or 6150RC should be applied prior to MMR.
Note: Mechanical preparation is the preferred method of preparing concrete for coating application. Shot-blasting, diamond grinding, scarifying and scrabbling are all acceptable methods. DO NOT ACID ETCH. EPOXY2U Australia, and its sales agents, will not be responsible for coating failures due to undetected moisture vapor emissions.
Ensure the substrate is clean and free of loose materials.
Coating performance is directly proportional to the comprehensiveness of surface preparation.
Mixing and Application
The ratio of E2U MMR is 3 to 1. That is, three parts A (resin) to one part B
Mix the following with a drill and mixing paddle. Note: If using a drill mixer, endeavour to use a low speed (not to exceed 300 rpm) to reduce the risk of air entrapment.
1. Premix Part A for 30-45 seconds.
2. Add Part B and mix for another 60-90 seconds.
3. E2U MMR is designed to be immediately poured on the concrete. Leaving mixed product in the container will greatly reduce pot life. Once poured out on the surface, 15-20 minutes of working time can generally be expected.
Application of E2U MMR applied in one pass.
1. Always endeavour to apply in descending temperatures when possible. Concrete is porous and traps air.
In ascending temperatures (generally mornings) the air expands and can cause out gassing in the coating. It is safer to apply coatings in the late afternoon, especially for exterior applications.
Note: Cure times are affected by ambient and substrate temperatures. Temperatures of 4C and lower can increase cure times. Temperatures of 30C and higher will reduce working and curing times.
2. Mix four gallons (15.14 L) of resin using above mixing instructions.
3. Apply according to desired thickness by immediately pouring out on the surface in a ribbon, while walking and pouring at the same time until bucket is empty.
4. Using a squeegee on a pole, pull MMR over substrate at desired thickness. As a first coat or primer coat, pull resin as thin as possible while still wetting out the substrate and uniformly covering the surface. This allows any trapped air to escape more easily.
5. Using a 3/8” non-shedding phenolic (plastic) core paint roller, roll coating forwards and backwards. Note: MMR may also be spray applied with airless spray equipment, contact E2U AU for more information.
6. Lastly, back roll in the opposite direction as step 5.
8. Apply second coat, if required, by repeating steps 1-5 once the MMR is tacky (like masking tape) or touch dry and the within 12 hours. Failure to recoat during this window may result in fish eyes. Always sand the coating after 12 hours before recoating.
1. Following Step 5 above, gently throw the broadcast media (sand, aluminium oxide, calcite bauxite etc.) up into the air, allowing it to fall without lumping in one spot or moving the resin. Do this until the resin is
totally saturated with the broadcast media and the resin will not accept any more.
2. Sweep and/or vacuum the area, and stone any high spots if required.
3. Continue with step 8 above and apply a second coat to lock in the media. A sufficiently thick coat of MMR relative to the size of your broadcast media may not require a second coat. This will depend on your application and desired outcome.
Read the MMR MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET and any precautions on container labels before applying. MSDS are available from www.epoxy2u.com, www.epoxy2uaustralia.com, or by contacting email@example.com
Keep containers closed at all times when not in use.
As with any coating; ingestion, inhalation and prolonged or repeated skin contact should be avoided by utilising good work safety practices.
Eye protection approved to AS1337 should be worn where there is a risk of splashes entering the eyes.
Always wash your hands before smoking, eating, preparing food for others, drinking or using the toilet.
Use in an area with good ventilation and avoid inhalation of atomised coatings. If risk of inhalation of coating particles exists, wear a cartridge type combined organic vapour/particulate respirator or supplied air system.
Protective gloves and clothing are recommended.
Clean up: While in an un-reacted state, may be cleaned up with hot water and degreaser. Isopropyl alcohol or acetone may be needed once the resin begins hardening. Lastly, a strong solvent like methylene chloride may be required if resin is nearly set up. Failing this, mechanical removal will be required.
WARNING! SLIP AND FALL PRECAUTIONS
It is not the responsibility of Epoxy2U Australia, or its representatives, to ensure the installed surface meets any slip resistance requirements. E2U recommends the use of angular slip resistant aggregate broadcast, such as aluminium oxide, in all coatings or flooring systems that may be exposed to wet, oily or greasy conditions.
It is the contractor and end users’ responsibility to identify the relevant slip resistance requirements and provide a flooring system that meets those requirements. E2U or its sales agents will not be responsible for injury incurred in a slip and fall accident.
This product is not flammable.
CAUTION: Read and follow all caution statements on this product data sheet and on the Material Safety Data Sheet for this product.
Shelf Life: 1 year unopened for both the Part A and B when stored inside, out of direct sunlight at between 5C - 45C (40°F to 110°F). Use opened containers as soon as possible. Never leave containers open longer than is necessary.
Any recommendation of Epoxy2U Australia contained herein, covering use, utilisation, chemical or physical properties and other qualities of the products
sold is believed reliable and considered general advice; however Epoxy2U Australia accepts no liability and makes no warranty or representation with respect thereto. Use or application is at the discretion of the Buyer without liability or obligation whatsoever of Epoxy2U Australia. Your results are your own.
Version 1.0 Last edited 11/12/2020